President Approves Federal Funding for Guilford & Rockingham Counties
Just a small example of damage.
The President has officially approved Governor Roy Cooper's request for a federal disaster declaration to help tornado victims in Guilford and Rockingham counties.
The decision came on Tuesday, April 15. All storm victims will be able to apply for low-interest federal loans or grants to help them repair their homes and businesses.
Families and business owners can now apply for financial help to repair and rebuild.
The governor declared a state of emergency for Guilford and Rockingham counties on April 20 and sent the federal disaster declaration request to the president on April 25.
He reached out to local officials today to share the good news that the request for federal help has been granted.
Storm survivors are encouraged to register with FEMA online or via phone as soon as possible, in one of the following ways:
- Online at DisasterAssistance.gov
- Download the FEMA Mobile App and register online
- Phone 800-621-3362 (FEMA). Applicants who use 711 or Video Relay Service may also call 800-621-3362. Persons who are deaf, hard of hearing or have a speech disability and use a TTY may call 800-462-7585
- The toll-free numbers are open from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m., seven days a week
- Multilingual operators are available
CONTACT SERVPRO of Greensboro North for all your storm repair needs.
Tips For Avoiding Spring Mold
This crawlspace is the result of unresolved problems.
SERVPRO of Greensboro North has seen a lot of mold begin to form this time of the year. Here are some things that we have learned.
The last thing most people want to find in their home is mold. Many people find mold in their home and have to go through mold remediation, however there are some things you can do to help prevent mold from growing in your home.
Mold Prevention Tips
- Keep humidity levels low.
- Make sure your home has good ventilation.
- Make sure you don't have any leaks in your home.
- If you experience water damage, dry out your home as soon as possible.
- Clean bathroom areas with mold killing products.
What to Do if You Find Mold in Your Home
- Do not touch the mold.
- Stay out of the room where you found the mold.
- Turn off your HVAC unit.
- Get your house tested to make sure you actually have mold.
- If you do have mold, call SERVPRO of Greensboro North to complete your mold remediation!
Mold can spread quickly throughout your home in as little as 48 hours. If you suspect that your business or home has a mold problem, call us at 336-379-1772 to inspect your home and complete mold remediation! We are highly trained mold remediation specialists and use advanced mold remediation techniques and equipment to get your home mold free as soon as possible.
Interview Regarding Mold & Your Home
Don't use bleach..Call SERVPRO
SERVPRO of Greensboro North is a full service restoration company specializing in fire, water, mold and biohazard remediation. We are also a general contractor so we can put everything back together after the demolition, cleaning and drying is completed. SERVPRO of Greensboro North is also a Large Loss Response Team designee. Of over 1,600 franchises, we are one of only a handful LLRTs. As an LLRT we travel anywhere in the US to help with acute damage, usually from hurricanes and flooding. We are also the trainership for Central NC. New franchise owners and there staff get their training from us as well as support with all areas of their business to ensure success.
A lot of times mold can't easily be seen or hasn't been found yet. Can you briefly talk about some of the different places or ways homes can have "unseen" mold damage?
When water spills it travels to the lowest point it can find and wicks into porous material like wood or sheetrock. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it isn't there. And when "it's there" it continues to do damage. It will go behind walls, absorb into insulation, into floor vents, into and under subflooring and with enough volume, into crawl spaces. Untreated it can fuel mold growth in all these areas within 72 hours.
What are some of the dangers of not taking care of mold damage properly?
Small issues can become huge problems when mold is left untreated. With proper conditions it will continue to grow and continue to destroy porous surfaces?this includes wood framing, drywall, furniture.
If water spills into an HVAC vent and isn't properly dried, the likelihood of mold is high. Once in that vent, mold can be circulated throughout the system and throughout the house. That's a big problem we see often.
Mold is an allergen and affects people differently. It can cause sore throats, chronic coughing and other ailments. Exposure over time can create more serious respiratory ailments with children and the elderly being the most at risk.
Are there any specific circumstances when a homeowner should always check for mold growth?
We recommend that people go into their crawl space every 6 months just to look and see. The same rule applies to HVAC units and water heaters.
Any time there is a significant water spill of just a few gallons or more, a professional should be consulted. Most of the mold issues we see are from people trying to save a dollar by doing things themselves. What they often don't realize is that water damage is often covered by homeowners' insurance. Mold from improper drying is not. Even if the damage doesn't exceed the policy's deductible, a pro needs to clean it up. Cleaning up a small water damage is always less expensive than the thousands of dollars to clean mold.
Do you have any advice for what homeowners should do after a flood or leak in their house, before a professional mold reconstruction/remediation company arrives?
Flood water is dangerous and should be considered contaminated. Stay out and call a pro.
PRIOR to a leak, learn how to turn off water to sinks and toilets as well as main shut-offs. Train your children/parents on how to do this.
After a leak?turn off the source of the water. That might involve a plumber. Use towels to absorb as much water as possible. But, do not leave wet towels on hardwood. As the towels absorb, put them in the dryer or spin the excess water out in the washer and then dry them. Replace them with dry towels. Pay close attention to floor vents and do what you can to keep the water out of those vents so that it won't damage your HVAC system.
What's the best way for people to contact you and your company?
We are here to help and to be a value add to our community. We will provide advice and coaching all day long in an attempt to help folks with manageable situations so that they don't have to incur a bill or file a claim. We can be reached 24/7 at 336-379-1772. Our phones are answered by live people 24 hours. If you don't get a live person, hang up and call back.
May Flowers Come From Aprils Showers; You Ready?
SERVPRO of Greensboro North (336) 379-1772
April showers bring the May flowers.
Are you SERVPRO ready?
While spring is a beautiful time of year, April showers can create flood conditions faster than you may realize. Knowing the difference between a flood warning and flood watch is important. A Flash Flood Watch, means there is possible flooding in the Greensboro area. A Flash Flood Warning, means flooding is already occurring or will occur soon in the Greensboro area.
Preparing Your Family for a Flood
Your family will be better prepared to withstand a flood if you have the following items available, packed and ready to go in case you need to evacuate your home.
3 day supply of water, 1 gallon per person per day 3 day supply of non-perishable food items Flashlights, extra batteries and multi-purpose tools A first aid kit and a extra medications “ Sanitation and person hygiene items Extra pet supplies, food, ID and vet records. Extra clothing, blankets, sturdy shoes and rain gear Sunscreen and bug repellent - Emergency contact information and copies of important person documents. A camera to take photos of flood damage. Extra charges for electronic devices.
Greensboro Red Cross Emergency Number - (336) 333-2111
Greensboro Red Cross Location - 1501 Yanceyville Street Greensboro, NC 27415
Storm Damage Cleanup and Restoration What to do after a Flood or Water Damage
Floods and water damage often occur with little warning and can be devastating to homes, business and entire communities. Taking immediate action after a disaster is vital. Communicating with your insurance company and calling upon the emergency response restoration experts at SERVPRO will help you move forward faster. Taking pictures, collecting items, extracting water and starting the dry-out™ process can be helpful, but safety must come first. If your home or business is not sturdy, do not go in. Leave that to us!
Regardless of the storm, flood or water damage, SERVPRO of Greensboro North is here to help! Our team of highly trained water damage specialists is faster in any disaster. And with a national network of over 1,650 SERVPRO Franchises across the country, we have the resources to handle any storm or disaster.
Did you know?
50% of businesses may never reopen after suffering a disaster. Your friends at SERVPRO are the only restoration team to offer everything you need to best prepare your business for disaster at the palm of your hand. We do this with our FREE the Emergency Ready Profile app, also known as an ERP. The ERP app stores your business™ emergency contacts and your business venders (HVAC service, plumbers, emergency restoration company, etc.).
Click here to learn more - https://ready.SERVPRO.com/home/mobileapp
What to Do After a Flood or Water Damage
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
What NOT to Do After a Flood or Water Damage
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don't leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don't use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don't use television or other household appliances.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.
Serving Our Community In Many Ways
Making A Difference
Here at SERVPRO of Greensboro North we love to give back to our community, and such was the case recently when our technicians Korey and Herbert volunteered their time cleaning a local domestic violence shelter. Â The brand new kitchen, donated by a local contractor, and the deep cleaning that our guys did definitely put a smile on the residents faces.
If you or someone you know needs to find a domestic violence shelter, there are over 105 domestic violence organizations in North Carolina that provide services at some level. domestic shelters.org is a great resource in locating one if you are in need.
We hope that in giving our time to help clean this newly renovated space, we can help give those affected a safe space where they can be out of the former situations that they were in and move on towards a brighter future.
SERVPRO Makes HGTV Appearance
Our Greensboro SERVPRO family was fortunate enough to be part of the filming of an episode of HGTVs Love it or List it. Our SERVPRO debut on the TV screen aired this past Monday, September 21st to kick off the fall season. It was an exciting opportunity for our team to be part of this popular TV show and help out the homeowners.
On this episode of Love it or List it, we met a local couple who was having a hard time deciding whether to renovate their home to be more suited for their family of four or to list it and buy something different. So they decide to do both: renovate their house to deal with some of the pesky inconveniences and look at other houses that might meet their needs. At the end of the show they make the ultimate decision to either stick with their newly renovated home (Love it) or put it on the market and buy one of the homes they have seen (List it).
As is common with home renovations, our couple found that the water damage they thought they had taken care of in their basement on their own was returning to haunt them. SERVPRO of Greensboro North to the rescue!
Basements can be a conundrum of dampness and moisture. Did you know that even if a surface feels dry to the touch, it may still be retaining water and thus transforming into mold later on? We have the equipment needed to makes sure water-damaged surfaces are truly dry and treated to eliminate the risk of mold spore growth.
Just like we would in your home, we made sure our TV couples leaky basement was dry, sealed and like the water damage as if it never even happened. After our team, and some other talented contractors and designers were done with this couples home, they decided they loved it too much to let it go.We are sure that their newly dry and transformed basement must have played a part in making this difficult decision.
Even if you are the star of an HGTV show, we can be your go-to for dealing with those idiosyncrasies of home or business ownership and our ever-changing North Carolina weather. Whether it is water, smoke, wind, fire or mold damage we are your clean up and drying specialists. Do you want the air filtering through your ducts to be as crisp and clear as these fall days? We can clean your ducts and make that a reality in the air circulating through your system. And we are ready and equipped for anything Mother Nature may throw at us this fall and winter. So make us your go to for your home or business needs and we will make sure that you love the results when we are done!
Tips To Think About 2018
SERVPRO of Greensboro North wants to remind you of some helpful tips to help insure a safe and happy 2018.
- All smoke detectors have a manufacturing date on them. If that date over 10 years old, replace it! Also if your home has gas or oil heat it is a good idea to invest in a carbon monoxide detector.
- Keep a prepacked bag handy with some cash, changes of clothes, medications, copies of important documents, etc.
- Have your family practice fire drills to make sure everyone knows how to escape, what to do and where to meet should a fire occur.
- Vacation soon? If you are travelling and will be away for several days, please be sure to turn off the water so you do not come home to any surprises.
- If you are using rubber hoses for the water supply to your washing machine, they need to be replaced every 5 years. Consider using steel braided hoses as they are much more durable than rubber ones.
- Periodically check the water supply lines on ice makers and dish washers for signs of wear and replace when needed.
- Keep a properly rated fire extinguisher in your kitchen. Does everyone know where it is located and how to use.
- Make sure you know where the critical shutoffs are in your home for main power, water and gas if applicable.
Hope that helps!! Contact SERVPRO of Greensboro North for any emergency needs.
Water Emergencies In Greensboro
Faster To Any Size Disaster
Flooding and water damage is very invasive. Water quickly spreads throughout your home and gets absorbed into floors, walls, furniture, and more. SERVPRO of Greensboro North arrives quickly and starts the water extraction process almost immediately. This immediate response helps to minimize the damage and the cleaning and restoration costs.
Need Emergency Service? Call Us 24/7 – 386-379-1772
Water Damage Timeline
- Water quickly spreads throughout your property, saturating everything in its path.
- Water is absorbed into walls, floors, upholstery, and belongings.
- Furniture finishes may bleed, causing permanent staining on carpets.
- Photographs, books, and other paper goods start to swell and warp.
Hours 1 - 24:
- Drywall begins to swell and break down.
- Metal surfaces begin to tarnish.
- Furniture begins to swell and crack.
- Dyes and inks from cloth and paper goods spread and stain.
- A musty odor appears.
48 Hours to 1 Week:
- Mold and mildew may grow and spread.
- Doors, windows, and studs swell and warp.
- Metal begins to rust and corrode.
- Furniture warps and shows signs of mold.
- Paint begins to blister.
- Wood flooring swells and warps.
- Serious biohazard contamination is possible.
More Than 1 Week:
- Restoration time and cost increase dramatically; replacing contaminated materials and structural rebuilding may be extensive.
- Structural safety, mold growth, and biohazard contaminants pose serious risks to occupants.
About SERVPRO of Greensboro North
SERVPRO of Greensboro North specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property
SERVPRO Night at Grasshoppers Game
SERVPRO of Greensboro North, Burlington, and Kernersville had a great time hosting several local insurance agents and their families at the Greensboro Grasshoppers game! The weather, attendance, and food was perfect. Unfortunately, the Grasshoppers came up short.
We at SERVPRO of Greensboro North, Burlington and Kernersville are so fortunate to have such a great group of local agents that we work with. This game was a great opportunity for us to get to know some of our agents on a more personal level, get to meet each others families, and get to watch a great game, eat some fantastic ballpark food, have a cold beverage, and cheer our local team onto victory!
Thank you again to everyone who made the 2018 SERVPRO of Greensboro North baseball night a success.
Soot, Smoke, Fire Restoration & Clean-Up
Smoke and soot is very invasive and can penetrate various cavities within your home, causing hidden damage and odor. Our smoke damage expertise and experience allows us to inspect and accurately assess the extent of the damage to develop a comprehensive plan of action.
Smoke and soot facts:
- Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
- Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
- The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.
Different Types of Smoke
There are two different types of smoke–wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of Greensboro North will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will then be based on the information identified during pretesting. Here is some additional information:
Wet Smoke – Plastic and Rubber
- Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
Dry Smoke – Paper and Wood
- Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.
Protein Fire Residue – Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire
- Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage. We will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage? Call Us Today – 386-379-1772